As the weather grows cooler and we spend more time indoors. It is great to have your own special space to relax, curl up with a book, or check your email. Fall is the perfect time to begin this project. It will be winter before you know it.
What are the essential elements of a reading nook?
For a good reading nook you need these must haves.
- A cozy seat. Having a comfortable seat is a non-negotiable. The entire point of a nook is to be comfy. You want something deep enough to curl up in or stretch out on. Especially since it will be a place where you plan on sitting for while. So, no hard chairs without cushion and nothing to narrow.
- A good light. When you are reading or working, proper light is important. It makes reading and using a digital device easier see than simple overhead lighting. Which keeps yours eyes from straining so you don’t get a headache.
- A side table. You need something to put your coffee and snack.
- A throw. In cool weather, you need something to keep you warm and cozy.
- A pillow. The pillow doesn’t just look good, it provides additional comfort.
Boho Chic Reading Nook
Modern Lux Reading Nook
A few things to remember when creating your reading nook.
- You want to find a quiet corner of your home, someplace where you can relax and unwind. So, you don’t want to be in area of the house that is noisy or heavily trafficked like a tv room or kitchen. Think zen.
- Also, try to find an area that has good natural light. It is great to be able to enjoy the view and be close to natural elements.
- Include some of your favorite things into your nook. Do you have a favorite painting or photo? Favorite color? If you love it, your should try to make it a part of your nook. Being surrounded by the things we love make us happy and warm the soul.
- If you have a small space and don’t have the room for a designated nook. Try just making your spot on the sofa special. Add some flowers and a nice throw to your end of the sofa.
Whatever your personal style is, a reading nook can be a special space for you. It is the perfect opportunity to carve a “me” zone in your house. A place to away from the daily chaos of life. As the weather begins to cool off and we begin spending more time indoors, it’s even more important to make your home your haven. Try to creating a nook of all your own.
For more design tips and home styling tips be sure to sign up to be an APT. 5 Insider. Each month you will receive a different style guide with the latest style and home decor tips. Sign up below!