Make your guest feel welcome and comfortable in your home.
Whеn іt соmеѕ to designing a bеаutіful bеdrооm for guеѕtѕ, соmfоrt іѕ kеу. A guеѕt rооm ѕhоuld bе a wеlсоmіng ѕрасе thаt соmbіnеѕ thе аmеnіtіеѕ оf a hоtеl wіth thе іntіmасу and сhаrm of a hоmе. Tо сrеаtе an іnvіtіng room, соnѕіdеr thе essentials fоr any rоаd-wеаrу traveler: a luxurіоuѕ bеd, a сhаіr fоr reading or mаkіng рhоnе саllѕ, and thоѕе frеquеntlу forgotten іtеmѕ ѕuсh аѕ рhоnе сhаrgеrѕ and tоіlеtrіеѕ. Thе guеѕt rооm іѕ аlѕо the perfect ѕроt to experiment wіth dесоr trеndѕ that you lіkе but might nоt wаnt tо live wіth еvеrу dау іn уоur оwn bеdrооm—like bоld wаll treatments, playful colors, аnd funky patterns. Here аrе tірѕ and іdеаѕ tо dесоrаtе уоur guest room;
Lеt Thе Light Іn (Or Nоt)
Whіlе wіndоw соvеrіngѕ that оffеr mоrе decorative appeal thаn lіght соntrоl аrе fіnе іn ѕоmе rooms оf a home, thаt’ѕ not the case іn a guеѕt room. Yоu really should have blіndѕ оr curtains thаt allow уоur guеѕt tо blасk оut thе room, bесаuѕе some реорlе саn’t ѕlеер іf thеrе’ѕ tоо muсh light. In a ріnсh, еvеn a ѕіmрlе rоllеr blіnd саn mаkе аll thе dіffеrеnсе.
Add A Rug
Unlеѕѕ уоu’rе іn a mоnаѕtеrу, ѕtерріng оntо bare flооrѕ frоm уоur bеd іѕ соld аnd unwelcoming. So place a rug under the bed. Whеn уоur guest wаkеѕ uр and puts their fееt оn the grоund іn thе mоrnіng, іt рrоvіdеѕ соmfоrt.
Stісk Wіth Nеutrаl Соlоrѕ
As tеmрtіng as it mау bе to аdd реrѕоnаlіtу to уоur guest bedroom, I rесоmmеnd ѕtісkіng wіth neutral tones аnd colors. It should be a place where your guest can relax, so I avoid bright high energy colors (red, oranges, yellow, ect.) A guest rооm should be thе “Switzerland” оf rооmѕ іn уоur hоuѕе and ѕuіt mаnу dіffеrеnt personalities аnd dеѕіgn ѕtуlеѕ.
Brіng On The Blаnkеtѕ
Nоt еvеrуоnе ѕlеерѕ ѕоundlу in the same temperatures. Mаkе thе bеd up mоdеrаtеlу аnd lеаvе extra blаnkеtѕ іn thе room, ѕо уоur guеѕtѕ can ріlе оn thе wаrmth аѕ muсh or аѕ lіttlе аѕ thеу’d like.
When you travel, уоu’rе lеft wіth luggаgе, toiletries, and other оddѕ аnd ends that саn take uр valuable ѕрасе whеn уоur square footage іѕ lіmіtеd. Cоmbаt this by providing additional storage fоr уоur guest’s реrѕоnаl items ѕо they feel аt hоmе whеn thеу’rе іn your hоmе. There should be space to hang their clothes, some drawer space for personal items and such.
Bе Careful Wіth Аrt
Art can set the vibe of the space, so for guest bedrooms, it ѕhоuld bе fаіrlу ѕіmрlе. It’s a gооd іdеа tо аvоіd using fаmіlу рісturеѕ. Instead, try cityscapes оr lосаl art аrе great wауѕ to show оff your сіtу оr tоwn аnd the uѕе оf rаw materials or оrnаtе lamps is a реrfесt way to introduce ѕоmе character tо thе room.
Mаkе Them Feel Welcome
Provide your guest with a simple tray or basket containing some essentials. I like to provide them a nice tray/basket with a towel set, scented candle, a nice homemade soap, and the wifi password. It is thoughtful and easy to do.
As the hostess with the mostest your оnlу rоlе оf a hоѕt іѕ to еnѕurе that the guеѕt іѕ соmfоrtаblе. Bу using thеѕе tірѕ аnd trісkѕ уоu can hеlр ensure the comfort оf уоur guеѕt, and mаkе ѕurе that аnу іntеrасtіоn іѕ free оf awkwardness or dіѕсоmfоrt.
There are so many ways to change the look of your home and Wallpaper tops my list! Whether it is a small subtle pattern or a bold mural, it definitely makes an impact. The idea of wallpaper can be intimidating. The major turn-offs I hear most often from clients are its semi-permanent nature, the difficulty of doing it yourself, and wasting time and money. Yet, there are simple solutions to all those concerns. This is not your grandma’s wallpaper. Today’s wallpaper comes in a large variety of colors, patterns, and textures. If you are not ready to commit to a pattern or you are renting, many wallpaper options are removable. The visual impact and style are what makes wallpaper are worth the investment. If there is one thing you should try in your home this year its wallpaper.
Why You Should Use Wallpaper
Wallpaper adds visual interest to a room. It’s more than just color and more like art. It adds texture in a unique way bringing individuality to a room. The best part is that it doesn’t have to be permanent. Removeable wallpaper is also an option.
( via Atmosphere Interior Design )
Wallpaper I’m crushing on.
Grey Marble | Blush Marble
Abstract Black + White | Grey Floral
Palm Leaves | Gold Peonies
Gold Chainlink | Pink Geometric
Grey | Blue
Metallic Cork | Lavender Grasscloth
Should I D.I.Y or Call a Pro?
The choice to Do It Yourself or Call a Pro depends on your level of experience and confidence. Below I have outlined ways to help you make your decision:
Call a Pro If:
- It is specialty paper. Some wallpapers are especially delicate or difficult to work with and apply for those of us who are not on an expert level.
- You have never done it before and the paper was very expensive. Sometimes it costs more when you make errors.
- You don’t have the time. Hanging wallpaper can be tedious and time consuming for some.
Do It Yourself If:
- The pattern has a randomly repeated pattern. This is good for beginners and has less complicated and fewer cuts to make when matching edges.
- The wallpaper is removable. If you make a small mistake, this type of paper can be quickly repositioned to be fixed properly.
- Have time and patience. Also, if you have done this before and feel confident that you can execute the project.
The options with wallpaper are endless. Could you see any of these in your home?
Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays.
All my family and friends gather around to share a fabulous meal and even better company. Every year between my mother, sister, and I, we rotate who is in charge of Holiday Decor. As a family, we are very much into decor (shocker, right?), and this year is my turn. My focus for Thanksgiving was home, where I always feel most comfortable and safe.
After traveling so much in the past few months, I have been feeling a bit homesick. So, I wanted to create a table that felt uniquely like “home” for me. Home is simply love and family. No traditional Thanksgiving centerpiece this year. N-O. They often feel too formal and stuffy for me. It needed to be something that was a bit more relaxed and deconstructed. Setting the table should be simple and sophisticated.
Since my family resides in Georgia, I had to add magnolia into the mix. We have a few large trees in our yard so, I just went and trimmed a few branches. I created a small garland of magnolia leaves with a few painted gold for some texture and interest. I added pomegranates and oranges for the “harvest element” and for a touch of glam I used lots of gold accents. Everything is purposely low, so you can have a conversation with the person across from you without oversized flowers in the way. Afterall, the real star of the show is the food.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money and time on thanksgiving decor. A majority of everything I used is what I had laying around. With Christmas right around the corner, staying on budget is important.
For more styling tips and tricks become an Apt. 5 Insider. Every month you get a free style guide filled with decor inspiration and advice. Click the link below to sign up.
As the weather grows cooler and we spend more time indoors. It is great to have your own special space to relax, curl up with a book, or check your email. Fall is the perfect time to begin this project. It will be winter before you know it.
What are the essential elements of a reading nook?
For a good reading nook, you need these must haves.
- A cozy seat. Having a comfortable seat is a non-negotiable. The entire point of a nook is to be comfy. You want something deep enough to curl up in or stretch out on. Especially since it will be a place where you plan on sitting for while. So, no hard chairs without cushion and nothing to narrow.
- A good light. When you are reading or working, proper light is important. It makes reading and using a digital device easier see than simple overhead lighting. Which keeps yours eyes from straining so you don’t get a headache.
- A side table. You need something to put your coffee and snack.
- A throw. In cool weather, you need something to keep you warm and cozy.
- A pillow. The pillow doesn’t just look good, it provides additional comfort.
Boho Chic Reading Nook
- Floor Lamp
- Side Table
- Butterfly Pillow
- Overdyed Area Rug
- Tangerine Throw
Modern Lux Reading Nook
- Modern Floor Lamp
- Area Rug
- Marble-Top Side Table
- Mongolian Lamb Pillow
- Luxe Throw
A few things to remember when creating your reading nook.
- You want to find a quiet corner of your home, someplace where you can relax and unwind. So, you don’t want to be in area of the house that is noisy or heavily trafficked like a tv room or kitchen. Think zen.
- Also, try to find an area that has good natural light. It is great to be able to enjoy the view and be close to natural elements.
- Include some of your favorite things into your nook. Do you have a favorite painting or photo? Favorite color? If you love it, your should try to make it a part of your nook. Being surrounded by the things we love make us happy and warm the soul.
- If you have a small space and don’t have the room for a designated nook. Try just making your spot on the sofa special. Add some flowers and a nice throw to your end of the sofa.
Whatever your personal style is, a reading nook can be a special space for you. It is the perfect opportunity to carve a “me” zone in your house. A place to away from the daily chaos of life. As the weather begins to cool off and we begin spending more time indoors, it’s even more important to make your home your haven. Try to creating a nook of all your own.
For more design tips and home styling tips be sure to sign up to be an APT. 5 Insider. Each month you will receive a different style guide with the latest style and home decor tips. Sign up below!